• Congratulations to…
▪ Yard of the Week Winner: 117 H Street Submit nominations of a single family residence inside the city limits to the Chamber of Commerce (541-942-2411) or City Hall (541-942-5501). In addition to the honor of the Yard of the Week sign in front of their house, winners receive a one-month credit on their water bill from the City, a gift certificate to local businesses from the Chamber and a one-year subscription from the CG Sentinel. See pics at www.cottagegrove.org
▪ Buster’s Main Street Café Owner Paul Tocco for providing 81 meals to honor veterans on August 11.
▪ Party in the Park/Emergency Preparedness Fair Organizers & Sponsors for a day of fun for families last Saturday.
▪ VisionKeepers 2018 Community Award Winners were recognized on July 21 at Bohemia Mining Days for their individual and organizational contribution to advancing the following Vision 2037 Plan goals. Individual: Matthew Hall (Kennedy HS Faculty); Organization: Opal Center for Arts & Education; Investing in a Diverse & Sustainable Economy: PakTech; Promoting Community Health: 90x30 Child Abuse Prevention Team; Expanding & Integrating Community Networks: South Lane School District’s P-20 Program; Promoting Environmental Assests: Aprovecho; Enhancing Urban Places & Spaces: Historic Landmarks Commission; Pioneering the Future: CG Community Foundation
• Fire Season Level: HIGH & EXTREME! Fire authorities’ now prohibit (until further notice) no mowing of dry grass from 10 am to 8 pm within City limits. Oregon Dept. of Forestry raised the danger level to EXTREME in rural areas of Lane County. Specific restrictions described at www.southlanefire.org and www.facebook.com/ODF-WesternLane
• WOE Family Fair: Call for vendors, volunteers & exhibitors (8/17-19) If you’d like to participate in Cottage Grove’s very own country fair send email to: email@example.com or call 541-942-6150. Pick up a copy of the 2018 Exhibitors Book at local businesses and plan to enter one (or more) categories with your kids and grandkids!
• Friends of the Cottage Grove Carousel is restoring a vintage carousel donated to the people of Cottage Grove. More money is needed immediately to complete the restoration process. To help keep the project moving along, call Don Williams at 541-942-4752, Email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.cgcarousel.com or Facebook page.
• City of Cottage Grove Nov. Election filing deadline is Aug 21. Call Trudy at 541-942-5501 for info on candidate filing.
• Cottage Grove’s Youth Advisory Council has openings for 2018-19 school district for youth in grades 7-12 for students who live in the South Lane School District to apply for a council seat. A special meeting for YAC applicants is Monday, Sept 17, at 7 pm.
• Community help needed for Carrie Liddell to receive medical treatment: A gifted performer prior to 2 strokes that damaged her body but not her spirit. Her friends have set up a GoFundMe page to help her travel to Florida for a life- changing new medical procedure: www.gofundme.com/help-heal-me-with-a-new-procedure?member=514212
• 90x30 Project’s Roots of Empathy Program recruiting volunteer parents with a baby for classroom instruction. This fall, the 90x30 local child abuse prevention team introduces a research-based school program for Harrison & London Elementary students to help them discover and nurture their understanding of their own feelings and the feelings of others. More info on the program is at www.youtube.com. Contact Rachel Nordquist at 541-870-0689 or email@example.com for details on mandatory 24-hours of training scheduled for Aug. 28-30 from 9 am-5 pm.
• Community Center Therapy Pool Closed this week for cleaning & repair and reopens on Aug. 18.
• Community help still needed for Smith Family On June 22 the family lost their home and all their belongings in a house fire. Help is still needed: www.gofundme.com/h2y4j-smith-family-house-burnt-down
• Best Little Printhouse Owner Teresa Walker Medical Expenses Fundraiser: For details of their dire need for community support go to: www.gofundme.com/teresa-and-kurt-walkermedical-fund
• To learn more about Cottage Grove’s history visit our three local museums:
▪ CG Museum offers a wonderful glimpse into “the attic of our community” revealing all kinds of historical treasures. Hours: Saturday & Sunday, 1-4 pm on the corner of H & Birch.
▪ Bohemia Gold Mining Museum is bigger and better in its new location in the historic Boots & Sandals Square Dance Barn (across from Bohemia Park). Lots of displays and artifacts, replica of miner’s cabin, Bohemia Mountain mural & more! It’s a great way to discover Cottage Grove’s rich mining heritage. Hours: Thu-Sat, 1-4 pm Suggested Donation: $2/person Info: www.bohemiagoldminingmuseum.com
▪ Oregon Aviation History Center (across from the Cottage Theatre) offers displays and information on Oregon’s early aviation history that set safety standards for the country. View several vintage aircrafts being restored in the hanger. Hours: M-Th 10 am-4 pm
• South Valley Athletics Soccer Field Improvements $10K GoFund-Me Campaign now underway to improve the field next to LCC-CG Center that would pay for leveling, irrigation, fertilization, seed and drainage improvements to create two additional practice fields and an alternative game field for youth sports activities. Help our kids stay active!
• Support Cottage Grove Pool Upgrades by making a donation at www.generosity.com and helping achieve the campaign’s $25,000 goal. In May 2016, South Lane voters approved a bond measure that earmarked $5.1 million. Project costs have increased requiring an additional $600K to purchase and install a brand new fast tank for racing, a 20-yd warm water lap pool, new plumbing, dressing rooms and new deck.